National Rail Pass
JR Pass Ordinary
Green 1st Class
About the Japan Rail Pass
The Japan Rail (JR) Pass is a special pass valid for unlimited travel on Japan Railways(JR) transportation, including all JR trains (shinkansen “bullet trains” except “NOZOMI” and “MIZHUO” service. limited express trains, express trains and rapid or local trains)*, JR bus company local lines (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokal Bus , West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Kyushu Bus) and the JR Miyajima ferry.
- JR Pass holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail
- The Pass is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR bus companies
Who is eligible for a Japan Rail Pass
The JR Pass is available only to overseas visitors tha enter Japan as a Temporary Visitor. This includes sightseeing, visiting relatives, inspection tours, conferences and meeting or other activities during a short stay in Japan
Note: Visitors who enter Japan under other statuses including: “Re-entry Permit”, “Entertainer” or “Traine” are not eligible
For complete information on entering Japan, please check with your nearest Japanese Consulate-General or Embassy.
Japanesse national living overseas may also purchase the Japan Rail Pass if they:
- qualify to live permanently in that country or,
- are married to non-Japanesse residing in a country other than Japan.
Terms & Conditions
If you are a tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing:
You must be visiting Japan under the entry status of Temporary visitor according to Japan Immigration Law. When you enter Japan for sightseeing, entry personnel will stamp the passport as Temporary visitor. Only a person who has a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, Temporary visitor status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods. A Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order MUST be purchased outside Japan, prior to your trip.
If you are a Japanese national living in a foreign country:
a) be qualified to live permanently in that country; or
b) be married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
- Myanmar residents travelling on a Japanese passport are not allowed to purchase JR Hokkaido, East, West or All Shikoku Rail passes.
- In the rare cases where travelers have dual passports (Japanese & Other) you must have your non Japanese passport stamped with Temporary Visitor otherwise issuance of JR pass will be refused.
- The Japan Rail Exchange Order is valid for three months from the date of issue. You must exchange it at a Japan Rail Exchange Office (in Japan) within these three months in order to receive your Japan Rail Pass. If you fail to make the exchange within these three months then you will not be able to receive your pass.
- To exchange date of the pass, once the pass has been obtained, can no longer be changed.
- At the time you exchange your order voucher for your Japan Rail Pass it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received.
- An Exchange Order that has not been turned in for JAPAN RAIL PASS can be returned to JTB for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case a handling fee and communication fee will be subtracted from the refund.
- Please click bellow official website to refer detail of JR exchange offices:
- The valid period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning from the date the PASS is first used.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is valid for the railways, buses, and ferry boats shown in below:
- All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen”bullet trains” (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on NOZOMI and MIZUHO trains) limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains, and the BRT. (With some exceptions)
- JAPAN RAIL PASS holders can also use the Tokyo Monorail.
- Aoimori Railway services between Aomori and Hachinohe (but only for travel on local or rapid service trains encompassing the segments between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, and Hachinohe and Noheji. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any other station on the Aoimori Railway line other than Aomori, Noheji, and Hachinohe.)
- The IR Ishikawa Railway Line between Kanazawa and Tsubata. (However, travel must be conducted on local or limited express trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the IR Ishikawa Railway line other than Kanazawa or Tsubata.)
- The Ainokaze Toyama Railway Line between Toyama and Takaoka. (However, travel must be conducted on local trains and must encompass the full segment between these two stations. Travel is not covered if you disembark at any station on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway line other than Toyama or Takaoka.)
- Local lines of JR Bus (excluding some local lines) (Pass validity for particular routes is subject to change.)(JR Bus : JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus)
- The PASS is not valid for travel on express bus routes operated by JR Bus.
- Only the JR-WEST Miyajima ferry is covered.
- Hydrofoil ferry service operated by JR-KYUSHU between Hakata and Pusan (Korea) is not covered.
- You cannot make seat reservation until you have exchange the Pass.
- An additional fee is required when reserving seat on Express trains and Shinkanses Bullet Trains.
- Non-reserved Ordinary class cars can be accessed freely. In order to travel in first class (green Cars) you will have to pay additional fees.
- To access the platforms, show your pass to the JR staff located at the platform gates.
- To reserve a seat, ask the JR staff at the tickets office.
- It is a personal pass. Please always carry your passport when using the Pass, station and train staff may check it.
- The starting date written on the Japan Rail Pass cannot be changed.
- The voucher can be refunded if it has never been exchanged in Japan.
- 10% of the price will be charged as a refund handling fee.
- Refund is allowed only before the Exchange Order exchange to Rail Pass and it must submit for refund within 12 months from the issuance date.
- The refund process required approximately 2 months to complete.
We’ll refund to cheque for cash and Nets payment and credit card for credit card payment.
- Neither an Exchange Order nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.